[ RadSafe ] Chris Busby physicists annd chemists

Busby Chris C.Busby at ulster.ac.uk
Fri Apr 22 04:28:39 CDT 2011

I mean that health physicist is a contradiction in terms.
You cannot apply physics to human health.
Biological systems are too complex to be dealt with in some primitive stress/strain way as if they are pieces of wire being stretched. This is what your ICRP model does.
The physical chemistry of dilute solution molecular interactions at the living system molecule level is where you have to begin. I mean, do you even knopw what an affinity constant is and how to measure it? Im not saying you should know, you will not have been taught it. I have talked with a lot of health physicists (and physicists in this area). They know no chemistry and see the field as some applied mathematics domain. But it is very important to know these things or you get it wrong. Did you know what happens at a decay position in ionisation when a dipositive ion of one element turns suiddenly into a tripositive element of another element? Do you think that matters? Its  not factored into ICRP as a dose. Why?
Chris