[ RadSafe ] Crawford F Sams and radiophobia

Jerry Cohen jjc105 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 26 19:28:55 CDT 2011

Dear Dr. Richel,
Thank you very much for the transcript of Dr. Sams life experiences. I found the
information to be fascinating and do not doubt it was the intent of some
high-level thinking in Washington during World War II  to instill an atmosphere
of radiophobia to discourage further warfare following the experience at
Hiroshima and Nagasaki. This attitude likely encouraged adoption of the MAD
policy (Mutual Assured Destruciton) in recent decades intended to prevent
 nuclear warfare. The best one can say regarding this policy is that it has
worked, so far.
Unfortunately, irrational radiophobia took on a life of its own. It has
infiltrated our society and severely handicapped development of a viable nuclear
power industry. A large segment of our public seems incapable of distinguishing
nuclear power generation from nuclear bombs. Perhaps the moral of this is to be
careful of what you wish for,  because you might get it.
Jerry Cohen