[ RadSafe ] Crawford F Sams and radiophobia

Robert Bradley rpb.bradley at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 19:43:37 CDT 2011

I remember a discussion along these lines several years ago: the public's
perception of radiation characterized by a "mushroom cloud".  I don't recall
who said or quoted it, but I'll never forget the line: "If electricity had
first been demonstrated by the electric chair, we would still be using
candles for illumination".  If ever there was an example of the power of
first impressions, this "mushroom cloud'' has to be considered at the top of
the first (and this is not a good thing).
-  - Robert Bradley
Health Canada, retired.