[ RadSafe ] Why hormesis happens--

Jerry Cohen jjc105 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 7 14:00:19 CDT 2011

Gazillions of $$$$ have been spent on research to determine the harmful effects
of low-dose radiation and the  mechanisms causing these effects. As I see it,
the main result of this effort is the determination that further study is
needed.
Many, including myself, believe that the effects of low-dose radiation exposure
are more likely to be benefical in nature (i.e.,  Hormesis). Although there is
much statistical evidence to support radiation hormesis, little, if any, study
has been directed toward learning what mechanism(s) would cause  hormesis.  As
is the case in the effort to gain an understanding of mechanisms leading to
harmful effects, it might be reasonable to inquire what would cause beneficial
effects to result from low-dose radiation exposure. One theory holds that the
free-radicals generated cause increased oxidation levels in tissues which
somehow confer protection against many disease processes. Research to
investigate this theory is currently being conducted at Ben Gurion University in
Israel. As I understand, results, to date, are promising but inconclusive. I am
not aware of any other programs to investigate possible mechanisms behind
radiation hormesis. If anyone has such information , I would appreciate learning
about it.
Jerry Cohen