[ RadSafe ] Why hormesis happens--

Perle, Sandy sperle at mirion.com
Sun Aug 7 14:12:29 CDT 2011

Hello Jerry,

While we might not understand the various mechanisms for damage as well as
benefit, I agree with you that there are benefits, and that is the primary
conclusion to be drawn. I also agree with you that too much has been
spent, where the goal of much of the research was to derive a causal
effect between low dose radiation and biological damage. When there is no
relationship identified, the researchers simply develop some argument to
support their pre-determined conclusion, such as the "health worker
effect." As far as I am concerned, there may never be a definitive
conclusion identified that explain the hormetic effect. If one agrees that
it exists, then the benefits of low dose radiation should be pursued.
Perhaps some of the benefits come perhaps on the psychological thoughts
and other actions taking place in the brain. We all have heard where some
illness and even some recovery has occurred due to positive thinking,
one's disposition to eliminating or minimizing the effects of one's
illness. There has also been observations where one's negative and
depressing thoughts have led to more quickly demise and other debilitating
effects.

So, is there too much research expenditures? Probably. Is there a benefit
to low dose radiation? Probably higher confidence than there is no benefit.

Happy irradiation!

Regards,

Sandy

Sander C. Perle