[ RadSafe ] Removal of Cs-137 source from an old irradiator

JPreisig at aol.com JPreisig at aol.com
Mon Aug 15 19:11:20 CDT 2011

Hi,

     _jpreisig at aol.com_ (mailto:jpreisig at aol.com)

     Nice problem.  How about attaching an optical  fiber viewing scope to
a broom handle
(or length of wood or something else) and see what the source configuration
 actually is.
Shield around the opening to the irradiator when doing this viewing
procedure.

     Then, build a small shielded container to fit  around the source for
initial removal.  Shielded
container should work fairly well.  Pull out the shielded container  and
place it in a better (final)
shielding container.  Get this assembly ready for shipping and ship  it.

     Someone out there from this company knows what the  irradiator guts
are like,  Try a search for
company records in the state where the company was located.  Try  payroll
records, Federal tax
records, Social Security records, state rad health department records,
etc.  Find someone who
knows about this irradiator.  Or find someone with a similar  irradiator
who can describe what goes on
in his/her irradiator.

     Best wishes,  (Better to be cautious with  such a source)

     Regards,  Joseph R. (Joe) Preisig, PhD

In a message dated 8/15/2011 6:58:33 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,