[ RadSafe ] Ra-226 Static Eliminator Bar

BRISSON Nicolas nicolas.brisson at irsn.fr
Wed Aug 24 08:14:25 CDT 2011

Hey all,

I have been out of the office for quite some time now, just as the guy from the lab which carried out the measurement.

I will pass him your remarks so that he can check the modelling.

The bar was found in the middle of garbage and was damaged, so radon leaks weren't unexpected. We even found contamination by radon progeny on the external surfaces of the bar.
Given the conditions of our "emergency" operation, we didn't try to get accurate measurements (length, thickness,..) of the bar and its components, so I think that the main problem with the radium activity (quantified with the 186 keV peak) is mainly due to inaccurate modelling of bar : thickness and metal composition of the "shield".

I had some gamma spectrometry on another radium source found on the same day reworked by the lab because of this problem. For this one I knew which activity to expect, which wasn't the case for the bar.

Nicolas Brisson
IRSN/DEI/SIAR
route du Panorama
92262 FONTENAY AUX ROSES