[ RadSafe ] Question about neutron source Pu238-Be

BRISSON Nicolas nicolas.brisson at irsn.fr
Wed Aug 24 08:22:02 CDT 2011

A colleague of mine will carry out assessment on multiple neutron
sources : dose rate measurements, activity assessment and packaging for
transport and disposal.

Most of these sources are Pu239-Be, Am241-Be or Ra226-Be and we have
experience and documentation about them.

But one of the source is a Pu238-Be and we don't have any information on
this type of source. The provider is not known and the source is 50
years old.
If anyone has information about firms that produced this type of source
and possibly values for gamma and neutron dose-rate, it would help us a
lot to prepare for this operation.

Thanks in advance,

Nicolas Brisson
IRSN/DEI/SIAR