[ RadSafe ] Question about neutron source Pu238-Be

Philip Simpson phils at umich.edu
Thu Aug 25 16:25:13 CDT 2011

Nicolas,

We had two Pu238Be sources manufactured by Mound in the early 60's They were designed to screw together in a dumbell configuration roughly 1.5" diameter and 5" long.  Total original Pu-238 activity was 84 Ci.  On June 27, 2003 we measured dose rates of 41 mrem/hr gamma and 250 mrem/hr neutron at 1 meter.  The dose rates were measured with an Eberline Ro-20 and Ludlum 9" REM ball.

Hope this helps.

Phil Simpson
Assistant Reactor Manager (Ret.)
Ford Nuclear Reactor