[ RadSafe ] The coming cancer cost from Fukushma ionising radiationaccording to Gundersen

Fri Dec 23 11:23:44 CST 2011

Hi, John.

You are correct that we cannot KNOW that "zero" cancers resulted from
Three Mile Island.  We can, however, look at the releases
(overwhelmingly thermally hot noble gasses, that went up and dispersed),
and conclude there is very little source term to cause cancer.  We can
look at the number of well done studies (as opposed to the poorly
designed, often lacking in evidence studies) that have not found a
statistically significant increase in the cancer rate among the
population that might conceivably been exposed, let alone those for whom
there is a good reason to believe were exposed.  It is possible that
somewhere there are people who were exposed to some number of atoms of
radioactive material from TMI, and that one of those atoms decayed at
just the right time and in just the right place to induce a mutation in
a cell, causing it be reproduce in an uncontrolled manner.  It is also
possible that that person's anti-cancer systems failed to detect and
destroy that particular cancer before it manifested to the level it
could be detected my medical science.  However, to date we can't pick
that out of the background rate of cancer.

I would also submit that the evidence is good that high levels of stress
have been demonstrated to have a number of negative effects on an
individual's wellbeing, including their ability to fight cancer.  I
would submit that as bad at TMI was engineering-wise, many, many people
were made to feel more stressed that the actual hazard warranted by
anti-nuke "experts" saying things they knew to be false.  This is
especially true in the subsequent years, after the release had stopped
and the released material dispersed and decayed away, but the anti-nuke
"experts" strove to keep stress high for their own political reasons.
While it is at least as difficult to measure stress induced cancer in a
human population as it is to measure radiation induced cancer from small
exposures, I submit that we cannot KNOW that "zero" cancers were cause
by the irresponsible utterances of the anti-nuke community in general,
and their most noted spokespersons in particular.  Since we cannot know
that either that accident or the anti-nuke response caused any cancers,
we can consider those two sources equal.

Thus, it is not incorrect to say it can be demonstrated that Arnie
Gundersen personally has caused as many cancers as TMI did.