[ RadSafe ] Mark Cooper says USA’s ‘nuclear renaissance’ is just not going to happen

franz.schoenhofer at chello.at franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Thu Dec 29 12:39:22 CST 2011

Roger,

How can you take serious any comment by somebody (Christina MacPherson, obviously a journalist) or a Mark Cooper, according to your post a "senior fellow of economic analysis etc. etc.". Will they determine the future of nuclear power? Probably their like will, if nobody dares to stand against those self appointed "experts" on nuclear issues.
Yes, it is the almost openly declared goal of these people as well as for so-called environmental groups, the worst of them is the multinational profit organisation called Greenpeace, to block (not only) nuclear power but also any hydroelectric power by "legal" tricks, which have already delayed in many countries all kind of power plants or they were even abandoned (you should in the USA know these stories very well!) Of course absurd distributions about the "deadly risks, the cancer incidences etc." are another important mean of influencing the public.  The other hundreds of thousands or even millions of deaths caused by other tsunamis, hurricans, inundations, avalanches, diseases, malnourishment etc . etc. are never mentioned by those environmental groups -well, they do not serve their purpose. A good question is in what time we live - paranoia time?

I recommend to take such comments not serious. This journal might seem to be important in a very small (!!!) area of the world, but sure it is not worldwide!

A caveat not only for you but to many (most) other US-users of RADSAFE: Do not forget, that this list is called "International Radiation Protection Mailing List". My impression is and this has been confirmed by many collegues from non-US countries  that unfortunately those collegues feel to be "quenched" by the US collegues with their contributions and questions on US legislation and their comments on US specific problems, sorry Roger, but yours is a striking example. It seems on RADSAFE that the radiation protection world ends at the borders of the USA, with very sporiadic questions mostly from neighbouring countries. And then there might have been one and another sting by

Best regards,

Franz