No subject

Sat Dec 17 10:13:44 CST 2011

proppant
1. =A0n.=A0 [Well Workover and Intervention, Shale Gas ]    ID:=A04985
Sized particles mixed with=A0fracturing fluid=A0to hold fractures open
after a=A0hydraulic fracturing=A0treatment. In addition to naturally
occurring=A0sand=A0grains, man-made or specially engineered proppants,
such as=A0resin-coated sand or high-strength ceramic materials like
sintered=A0bauxite, may also be used. Proppant materials are carefully
sorted for size and sphericity to provide an efficient conduit for
production=A0of fluid from the=A0reservoir=A0to the wellbore.

http://tinyurl.com/76ek4xy

Dan ii

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 11:13 PM, Cowie, Michael I
<michael.cowie at aramco.com> wrote:

> Depends what the material is Dan. If it is scale or sludge from oil produ=
ction it is not normal to find associated uranium - this usually stays in t=
he reservoir formation. Your observations would be correct if it was drill =
cuttings.

> Mike

phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Dan McCarn
> Sent: Monday, January 23, 2012 9:06 AM
> To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing List
> Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Radioactivity and Fracking
>
> Hi Group:
>
> Since the material is most likely natural, I make the assumption that the=
 radium is in secular equilibrium with uranium. In order to place these qua=
ntities in perspective, the equivalent amount of natural uranium was calcul=
ated in mg / kg (ppm). =A0For the regulatory limit of 5 pCi/g Ra =3D=3D
> 0.185 Bq/g this would be the equivalent of 7.32 mg/kg U-Nat. =A0This is s=
lightly less than the typical granites in Wyoming which average about 10 mg=
/kg U-Nat.

> For the sand that would correspond to 45 pCi/g =3D=3D 1.665 Bq/g, it is e=
quivalent to 66 mg/kg (ppm) U-Nat. (6.59 x 10^-5 g). This could be from a m=
oderately enriched granite or perhaps a heavy-mineral enriched natural sand=
 containing zircon. =A0Pure zircon sands contain from 150 - 300 mg/kg U-Nat=
 =3D=3D 100 - 200 pCi/kg almost always in secular equilibrium with
> radium-226 progeny.
>
> The anatectic granites mined for uranium in the Namib Desert in SE Africa
> (Namibia) are about 100-125 mg/kg (ppm) U-Nat.
>
> The Chattanooga (USA), Pierre (USA) & Kolm (Sweden) shales are about 100 =
mg/kg (ppm) U-Nat.

> These are only observations.
>
> Dan ii
>
> Dan W McCarn, Geologist
> 108 Sherwood Blvd
> Los Alamos, NM 87544-3425
> +1-505-672-2014=A0(Home =96 New Mexico)
> +1-505-670-8123=A0(Mobile - New Mexico)
> HotGreenChile at gmail.com (Private email) HotGreenChile at gmail dot com
>

> On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 8:24 PM, Lawrence Jacobi < rjacobi at jacobiconsulti=
ng.net> wrote:

> > There has been an interesting series of articles in the Williston
> > North Dakota newspaper regarding radioactivity from oilfield
> > operations. =A0My impression is that the reporters have tried to write
> > balanced articles, but the stories have been replete with mild
> > hysteria and misinterpretation of the data.
> >
> > Here's the latest:
> > http://www.willistonherald.com/news/radiation-what-does-it-mean/articl
> > e_3721c300-4485-11e1-9e29-0019bb2963f4.html
> >
> > ***************************************
> > Lawrence R. Jacobi, Jr., P.E., J.D.
> > Jacobi Consulting
> > 10807 Bonaparte Bend
> > Austin, TX 78750-2801
> > (512) 656-4765 cell
> > (512) 335-4006 fax

> ________________________________
>
> The contents of this email, including all related responses, files and at=
tachments transmitted with it (collectively referred to as =93this Email=94=
), are intended solely for the use of the individual/entity to whom/which t=
hey are addressed, and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged i=
nformation. This Email may not be disclosed or forwarded to anyone else wit=
hout authorization from the originator of this Email. If you have received =
this Email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all co=
pies from your system. Please note that the views or opinions presented in =
this Email are those of the author and may not necessarily represent those =
of Saudi Aramco. The recipient should check this Email and any attachments =
for the presence of any viruses. Saudi Aramco accepts no liability for any =
damage caused by any virus/error transmitted by this Email.