[ RadSafe ] How tough is it to build a dirty bomb?

Stewart Farber radproject at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 11 13:32:14 CST 2011

Dr. Cohen writes below about a dirty bomb attack. As he notes the goal is fear and chaos, and:

"This could only work once, because when the public recognizes that no
one was harmed by the plutonium, it would be a very useful public
information event".

Of course the problem in the public determining that "no one was harmed" [ by even a mBq in a so-called "dirty bomb" ] would, according to those who would want to capitalize on the event to advance their own agenda, claim that epidemiological studies carried out over the lifetime of all individuals possibly exposed initially or due to residual contamination were necessary. [Excuse the preceding run on sentence, but I read a log of German lit in college, and got used to verbs being at the end of loooog sentences]. :-)

And then once the "required" epidemiological studies were completed [ one study would clearly not be enough, right? ] the results would be disputed and debated ad nauseum by countless scientific, public, environmental anti-nuclear activist,  regulatory, and legislative bodies who have a vested interest in the issue.

Consider the case of the Chernobyl accident. Claims of people "killed" by the accident range from the 32 acute deaths among emergency responders, to countless millions due to trivial radiation exposure and residual global contamination,  integrated over all time if one listens to scaremongers like a Bertell or a Caldicott [ or our radsafe favorite the "Tooth Fairy" project].

Stewart Farber, MSPH

Farber Medical Solutions, LLC
Linac, Imaging, and HP Equipment Brokerage

Bridgeport, CT 06604

[203] 441-8433
farber at farber.info