[ RadSafe ] Melting a reactor??

Doug Huffman doug.huffman at wildblue.net
Mon Jan 3 06:40:55 CST 2011

The statement, "shut off a reactor" begs the question, modus ponens,
what does shutting off a heat source like a reactor mean?  It continues
to produce heat from sub-critical fission while 'shut-off'.

It has been a while, but I may recall that various alloys and chemical
reactions all occur at elevated temperatures of a magnitude achieved in
a loss of coolant accident.  Even in a LOCA there is plenty of hydrogen
available for hydriding chemical reactions.  ZrH2 autoignition occurs by
300C.

A critical mass is never safe.  Carefully managed, it's benefit is worth
the risk that is comparable to that enjoyed in everyday life.

"The cooling system" is integral to the whole design of a modern
facility and has been shown empirically robust.  The worst experience
caused only an arguable marginal increase in morbidity/mortality.
Remember that we argue radiation hormesis.