[ RadSafe ] Melting a reactor??

George Sallit georgesallit325 at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 3 10:33:55 CST 2011

Doug,

As you are inferring the original article is at best an exaggeration of the
issue and at worst at bit of a nonsense. However, in dispelling it we need
to correctly identify what is happening.

"Shut off a reactor" is not really too much of an issue as it takes
considerable effort to actually make the reactor become critical, so
shutting it down (make it sub critical) is straightforward. The heat that a
shut down reactor produces is from decay heat from the fission products and
typically is about 7% of the thermal power of the operational reactor.
Certainly there will be sufficent heat to cause problems but with Gen III
and Gen IV reactors there are sufficent safety systems built into the
reactors to minimise the impacts of decay heat.

An errant operator would be better off causing huge damage at a chemical or
gas plant than spend time and effort at nuclear plants. The security at
nuclear plants tends to be better.

I am not sure what you mean by a critical mass is never safe. It  depends. A
critical mass of natural uranium in the earth can be totally safe, although
early in the Earth's history there was sufficent enrichment for the then
natural uranium and the right considitions to sustain a critical reactions
for many years at Oklo. A full reactor's core of PWR fuel can be, and is,
maintained safely at all nuclear power stations. If you use burnable poisons
then it can be very safe.

Not sure what you mean by 'worst experience' causing 'arguable marginal
increase'; TMI, Chernobyl or a LOCA? All three have been used as examples by
those opposed to nuclear power and unfortunately out of context. You are
right that the risks are worth the benefits from nuclear power, if they were
not then nuclear power would not be Justified as required by the first ICRP
principle on Justification.

Not everyone accepts hormesis and I must confess that I do not and believe
the case is 'not proved'. ICRP also believes the case is not proven.