[ RadSafe ] Collective Dose and colorimetric dosimeters

Perle, Sandy SPerle at mirion.com
Tue Jan 11 11:05:28 CST 2011

Having worked with the colorimetric dosimeters, I concur that they are not sensitive enough to be useful at doses less than several rem (perhaps 50 mSv). These should not be used by individuals who require knowledge of their dose, and a standard passive or active dosimeter should be worn and dose documented. The usefulness of a colorimetric dosimeter is solely if one wants to use the device as a go/no-go high dose potential, where the individual can then leave the area, waiting for support from knowledgeable responders who have the appropriate monitoring equipment. Another significant issue with a colorimetric dosimeter is the lower the dose threshold, the shorter the shelf-life, as well as being affected by other environmental influence factors.

Regards,

Sandy

Sander C. Perle
President