[ RadSafe ] Collective Dose and colorimetric dosimeters

משה קרן MosheK at sviva.gov.il
Tue Jan 11 03:20:17 CST 2011

I agree with Bill and will be happy to get comments on a similar issue:
Subject: Hospital preparedness to radiological emergencies, either accidents or terror, not nuclear.
I believe all will agree that hospital first receivers should be monitored to possible exposure.
 I hope too all will agree that the majority of them, or a great number, are not "radiation workers", hence are "members of the public" regarding doses.
Colorimetric dosimeters are now on the market (RADview, SIRAD) and are much chipper the EPDs. So there is a tendency to purchase them instead of EPAs.

Question: Hospital first receiver's possible exposure may be much lowers then that of first responders acting on the scene - true or false?

If true, then since colorimetric badges are not sensitive do doses smaller the several rems, do not give dose rate indication or alarm, and that there is no way to learn exact dose, there is a need of a better measuring unit.

Best regards
Moshe  Keren, M.Occ.H.
Head of Ionizing Radiation Inapection Unit
Noise and Radiation Abatement Department
Ministry of Environmental Protection
ISRAEL
e-mail:moshek at sviva.gov.il