[ RadSafe ] X-rays linked to increased childhood leukemia risk

BLHamrick at aol.com BLHamrick at aol.com
Wed Jan 19 22:26:52 CST 2011

If this is the paper I'm thinking of (and, I'm 96% certain it is), one
should also take note that the researchers did not distinguish amongst
different  types of imaging.  There's a huge difference between a routine chest
x-ray  (~10 millirem) and an abdominal/pelvic CT exam (~1 - 2 rem).  They also
did  not mention if any attempt was made to determine if the parents
understood that  ultrasound and MRI do not use ionizing radiation.  As I recall, the
 imaging information was garnered exclusively through parental interview
and not  by looking at any imaging records.  It is my opinion this study was
poorly designed, and I am quite surprised it was even published.

Barbara L. Hamrick, CHP

In a message dated 1/19/2011 8:56:44 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,