[ RadSafe ] X-rays linked to increased childhood leukemia risk

Scott, Bobby BScott at lrri.org
Thu Jan 20 13:38:13 CST 2011

Hi All:

I agree with Barbara and Cary. Note also that for this case-control
study, the average radiation dose may have been higher for controls than
for leukemia cases. This would be expected if on average the controls
had more CT scans than cases, while the cases on average had more
routine x-rays. With a higher average radiation dose for controls, the
same data would implicate a possible protective effect of the X-rays,
rather than an increase risk of leukemia. It may also be useful for
researchers to take a look at medications that were administered to the
kids for pain from broken bones (basis for some of the X-ray exposures).

Bobby
B. R. Scott
Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute
Albuquerque, NM, USA