[ RadSafe ] Energies used in Breast Irradiation

??µ?t???? ???a??d?? od at tlmq.com
Tue Jan 25 02:26:11 CST 2011

This is standard breast tumor radiotherapy. 6 MV have a Dmax in a depth of
about 1.5 cm, while 18 MV in about 3.5 cm. The point is to irradiate,
homogeneously, the whole breast gland and spare (to a certain degree) the
skin. The opposing, 6 MV irradiating fields are placed tangential to the
chest wall, so the maximum tissue distance to be traveled by the photons can
often be more than 20 cm. Our problem is usually to get enough dose to the
center of the target volume, so sometimes 6 MV dose is supplemented by the
more penetrating 18 MV fields.

Now, we are prescribing 50 Gy to the breast as a whole. In some centers this
is split in two parts: 40 Gy to the whole breast and 10 Gy to the site of
the tumor (which is called "boost")

D.Okkalides

THEAGENEION Anticancer Hospital

Thessaloniki