[ RadSafe ] Energies used in Breast Irradiation

Ahmad Al-Ani ahmadalanimail at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 26 01:02:05 CST 2011

A customized treatment plan will be calculated on specialized computers called
treatment planning systems. These plans are done for every patient. As the
depth, size and location of tumor differs from one patient to other. CT scan
images are used to digitally reconstruct the patient and tumor in that computer.
The objective of these plans is to deliver a uniform dose distribution to the
volume area, and minimum dose to adjacent areas.

Currently, most breast patients are treated with 6MV x-rays in a two opposite
beam directions, medial and lateral. Typically, a superficial dose is delivered
afterwards to the scar of the tumor bed via electron beam.

Ahmad Al-Ani
ABR Certified Medical Physicist