[ RadSafe ] Nuclear fusion coming soon

Chris Hofmeyr chris.hofmeyr at webmail.co.za
Tue Jul 5 13:13:44 CDT 2011

J Preisig, Radsafers,

Just as physics makes fusion work in the stars, it conspires to make it
difficult in jars or other containers. I'm afraid it's not much use making
tritium in advance - for the same reason it needs replacement in weapons -
namely decay. Or maybe you are just a super optimist about the time frame? I
understand the real trouble starts when they get the beast to work, namely
material problems. The vessel walls will apparently suffer radiation
embrittlement in a very short time. To have your energy in the form of very
fast neutrons is more than a bit daunting, and to fire up reactions that
produce only charged particles, is so much more difficult. The 'clean' fusion
dream just does not seem realistic. A real pity.
Luckily I'm no expert. So, with a bit of serendipity - who knows?

chris.hofmeyr at webmail.co.za

On Sun, 3 Jul 2011 23:56:28 -0400 (EDT) JPreisig at aol.com wrote