[ RadSafe ] DOT and dose calibrator source

alstonchris at netscape.net alstonchris at netscape.net
Tue Jul 5 19:25:29 CDT 2011


This is a crucial point.  I would bet that most peoples personal liability insurance does not cover the transport of hazmat.  On the other hand, if you were carrying RAM as an agent of your company, likely the company's insurance would cover you; clearly, you would want to check with your risk management people, before setting out.

There is also an issue of general licensure.  The NRC's general license is only to common carriers.  In the State of Washington, in contrast, the general license is issued to both common and private carriers.




-----Original Message-----
From: ZIC Joe -PICKERING <joe.zic at opg.com>
To: 'The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing List' <radsafe at agni.phys.iit.edu>
Sent: Tue, Jul 5, 2011 6:55 pm
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] DOT and dose calibrator source


I don't know what kind of personal auto Insurance you have in the states, but in 
the fine print of some policies in Canada, they do not cover the transportation 
of radioactive material (with the definition of radioactive material very open 
to interpretation by insurance lawyers).  In the case that you were to get into 
an accident, and it was discovered that you were transporting radioactive 
material, you may be liable.

At our station, we use either our internal shipping department or approved 
couriers for all radioactive shipments, as they have all the legalities worked 
It's a low probability, but thought I would warn you nonetheless... 

Josip Zic   M.Sc, CHP
Health Physicist, Pickering A 
Radiation Protection Department, ALARA Section 
Ontario Power Generation

More information about the RadSafe mailing list