[ RadSafe ] DOT and dose calibrator source

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 22:30:23 CDT 2011

Dear Josip:

I've run into this before, and the answer that you provided regarding the
definition of "Radioactive Material" makes me worry a bit since all
international and US regulations are identical. These are defined in IAEA
Publication 1225 - TS-R-1, IATA and US DOT 49 CFR 173.403

49CFR173.403: “Radioactive material means any material containing
radionuclides where BOTH the activity concentration AND the total activity
in the consignment EXCEED the values specified in the table in §173.436 or
values derived according to the instructions in §173.433.”

My Declaration of Exempt Consignment is attached.

Dan ii

Dan W McCarn, Geologist
108 Sherwood Blvd
Los Alamos, NM 87544-3425
+1-505-672-2014 (Home – New Mexico)
+1-505-670-8123 (Mobile - New Mexico)
HotGreenChile at gmail.com (Private email) HotGreenChile at gmail dot com

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu
[mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of
alstonchris at netscape.net
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2011 18:25
To: radsafe at health.phys.iit.edu
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] DOT and dose calibrator source


This is a crucial point.  I would bet that most peoples personal liability
insurance does not cover the transport of hazmat.  On the other hand, if you
were carrying RAM as an agent of your company, likely the company's
insurance would cover you; clearly, you would want to check with your risk
management people, before setting out.

There is also an issue of general licensure.  The NRC's general license is
only to common carriers.  In the State of Washington, in contrast, the
general license is issued to both common and private carriers.




-----Original Message-----
From: ZIC Joe -PICKERING <joe.zic at opg.com>
To: 'The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing List'
<radsafe at agni.phys.iit.edu>
Sent: Tue, Jul 5, 2011 6:55 pm
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] DOT and dose calibrator source


I don't know what kind of personal auto Insurance you have in the states,
but in 
the fine print of some policies in Canada, they do not cover the
of radioactive material (with the definition of radioactive material very
to interpretation by insurance lawyers).  In the case that you were to get
an accident, and it was discovered that you were transporting radioactive 
material, you may be liable.

At our station, we use either our internal shipping department or approved 
couriers for all radioactive shipments, as they have all the legalities
It's a low probability, but thought I would warn you nonetheless... 

Josip Zic   M.Sc, CHP
Health Physicist, Pickering A 
Radiation Protection Department, ALARA Section 
Ontario Power Generation

You are currently subscribed to the RadSafe mailing list

Before posting a message to RadSafe be sure to have read and understood the
RadSafe rules. These can be found at:

For information on how to subscribe or unsubscribe and other settings visit:
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Declaration of Exempt Consignment Status _2a_.pdf
Type: application/pdf
Size: 87816 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://health.phys.iit.edu/pipermail/radsafe/attachments/20110705/1fd8e6ce/attachment-0001.pdf>

More information about the RadSafe mailing list