[ RadSafe ] DOT and dose calibrator source

ZIC Joe -PICKERING joe.zic at opg.com
Tue Jul 5 14:21:01 CDT 2011

Gary,

I don't know what kind of personal auto Insurance you have in the states, but in the fine print of some policies in Canada, they do not cover the transportation of radioactive material (with the definition of radioactive material very open to interpretation by insurance lawyers).  In the case that you were to get into an accident, and it was discovered that you were transporting radioactive material, you may be liable.

At our station, we use either our internal shipping department or approved couriers for all radioactive shipments, as they have all the legalities worked out.
It's a low probability, but thought I would warn you nonetheless...

Josip Zic   M.Sc, CHP
Health Physicist, Pickering A
Radiation Protection Department, ALARA Section
Ontario Power Generation