[ RadSafe ] Ra-226 Static Eliminator Bar

Kai Kaletsch eic at shaw.ca
Tue Jul 12 22:05:31 CDT 2011

Mike is correct in saying that some of the radon might wander off. However,
to get your numbers, you would need > 50% radon emanation and a completely
open or unsealed source. Radon emanation for man-made radium compounds is
usually pretty low (< 1%).

So, I think that, even a leaky source, would not explain your numbers. You
could try the experiment again but put the bar in some sort of container for
10 days (i.e. a few radon 1/2 lives to achieve equilibrium). Even with a
fairly crude container, you should be able to contain more than 50% of
radon.

My guess is that there is something wrong with the gamma spec library and
its getting confused, identifying something as a Ra-226 gamma, that really
isn't. Ra-226 isn't a very intense gamma emitter. So, even a little bit of
cross talk from something else in the decay chain would create a large error
in the Ra-226 reading.

Cheers,
Kai