[ RadSafe ] Subsurface Gamma Spec Detector

JPreisig at aol.com JPreisig at aol.com
Tue Jul 19 11:52:18 CDT 2011

Doug and Radsafe,

      Hmmmmm.  Not all EMR tubes are internal  use only.  Back in the day,
I remember the
Engineers and/or Technicians used to SELECT some of the better EMR
photodetectors, and direct
them to Santa Barbara (Hughes Corporation???) California.  They used  to
call them the Santa
Barbara tubes and they were always very pleased when sent one out.
Perhaps they were used
in satellites or other industry well logging.  My Minitrons (a neutron
generator tube) cost $5K
back then (1978 dollars).  My friend Jerome (an electronics  technician)
dropped one Minitron
tube (that had tested well and was ready to be shipped!!!!) on the ground
and because of the glass
used in the Minitron back then, the tube broke into many pieces.  A  dumb
kid production engineer
named Joe Preisig was called in to clean up the mess.  Fortunately the
tritium is absorbed
into the tube storage filament(s), so the mess wasn't too bad.

      I think Minitrons have ceramic  envelopes(instead of glass) these
days.  Joanie, a QC technician
commonly referred to Minitrons as Bit__itrons.  What a cool tube to  build
and work on.

     Regards,   Joseph R. (Joe) Preisig,  PhD

In a message dated 7/19/2011 12:24:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,