[ RadSafe ] Subsurface Gamma Spec Detector

Doug Aitken jdaitken at sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com
Tue Jul 19 12:13:38 CDT 2011

Hi, Dan!
I was waiting for you to chime in!

You are right that most current downhole tools rely on NaI (and a few with
BGO). HPGe is, of course, really nice due to its high discrimination, but
the temperature limitation makes it a bit of a PITA for downhole
applications (at least for the deep boreholes of the O&G industry).

The "new kid on the block" is LaBr3 (Ce), which gives a better spectrum than
the NaI and none of the temp problems of HPGe. Download some info here:
http://www.ortec-online.com/download.asbx?AttributeFileId=e0a47196-05ea-4e35
-a5a7-7ab39c66f6e1&x230=page=1

I don't know if Ortec are already selling these, but it might be interesting
to contact them!
http://www.ortec-online.com/Contact/index.aspx

Regards
Doug

Doug Aitken
QHSE Advisor, Schlumberger D&M Operations Support
Cell Phone: 713-562-8585
(alternate e-mail: doug.aitken at slb.com )
Mail: c/o Therese Wigzell,
Schlumberger,