[ RadSafe ] Smart meters

Jeff Terry terryj at iit.edu
Thu Jun 2 23:33:34 CDT 2011

Smart meters do not scare me, the smart thermostats do though. The only way to make wind and solar work as sources of electrical generation is for someone else to have control over the user's energy use.

These wireless thermostats (http://www.energyhub.com/utilities/wireless-thermostat/) can receive load control events from the utility. Sun is not shining or wind is not blowing, you cannot heat or cool your house.

Similar meters were installed in Naperville IL (http://gcn.com/Articles/2011/04/04/Smart-Grid-Naperville.aspx?Page=3) so that the utility could adjust the comfort level in the end user's home.

"The meters have a wireless network card that links to the thermostat. The utilities department would not turn off heat to a customer but could lower or raise settings for a group of customers by a few degrees for 15 minutes at a time and then move to another group of customers."

Now that scares me. I don't know why anyone would accept that.

Jeff