[ RadSafe ] Austrian Versus Texas Wild Boar Meat

Tue Jun 7 11:46:13 CDT 2011

There was an article a while ago that, in my opinion, held some clues as to why contaminated boars meat is still being found in Germany.

In order to cut costs, the government turned over monitoring the carcasses hunters, especially commercial hunters, brought out of the woods to volunteer groups.  The volunteers were mostly commercial hunters who received a little training, and then worked unsupervised at monitoring stations.  Contaminated carcasses were confiscated and destroyed, and the hunter compensated for their loss.

The interesting part comes in when the market price for the meat drops below the compensation level.  It seems that more pigs become contaminated, and get purchased by the government.  Also, because most of the volunteers are themselves hunters, they often know the people whose kills they are monitoring, and they themselves might well be bringing a kill to a monitoring station in the near future, manned by the very people they are currently monitoring.

The article didn't come right out and say that the commercial hunters are selling to the highest bidder, even when the highest bidder is the government and the meat isn't actually contaminated, but it was implied.  And it is clearly predicted by market theory.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu [mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of neilkeeney at aol.com
Sent: Monday, June 06, 2011 7:54 PM
To: jdaitken at sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com; radsafe at health.phys.iit.edu; franz.schoenhofer at chello.at; maurysis at peoplepc.com
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Austrian Versus Texas Wild Boar Meat

Jeez.

A little odd that the Austrian pigs would have such a burden, at least a pre-Chernobyl burden, eh?

Maybe this would be worth writing a grant proposal from a pork-barrel spending fund to studythis apparent indicator species here in the US... There are probably wild pigs around most of the nuclear plants across the Southern US...

It could be the analogue of the tooth-fairy project. Perhaps the pig-fairy project.  Maybe the pork-fairy project, or is that taking an oxymoron just too far?  It's late...

Regards,

Neil Keeney