[ RadSafe ] Reactor SL-1 accident

Doug Huffman doug.huffman at wildblue.net
Thu Jun 23 07:10:50 CDT 2011

Dear Franz,  It is good to write to you and I can describe a bit of the
SL-1 accident.  I had a co-worker that worked at the SL-1 reactor and,
indeed, was assigned to do the work that caused the incident. But for
having the sniffles, he may have been present at the explosion.  He
still corresponds with me, though on social and political issues.

I learned of the official conclusions of the incident as part of my
training and, later, as part of my preparation to teach an aspect of
safety to my peers.  My co-worker confirmed the official explanation
during our safety instruction.

As I recall from thirty years ago, the SL-1 was a semi-portable, Small
and Low-powered reactor for the US Army.  I believe that one very like
it was at an Antarctic base for its full life time and removed without
notable incident.

It had few control rods, perhaps as few as three or four.  Planned
maintenance had been completed and the control rod drive mechanisms were
being restored.  They were of a rack and pinion design.  During the
maintenance the rack had been disconnected from the pinion drive gear
and the rods rested on mechanical stops.  They each weighed some tens of
kilograms.

The central rod provided most of the shut down reactivity and was the
first to be engaged with its drive mechanism.  The worker evidently
squatted over the rod's pinion and lifted it too quickly and too great a
distance; tens of centimeters in less than a second.  The manual
engagement was by an approved procedure except for the unknown details
that allowed and caused the jerk.

The brief high power excursion, perhaps a prompt criticality, caused a
steam explosion that disassembled the reactor and reactor vessel, its
contents and the reactor head.  A significant piece of evidence was the
worker's body found pinned to the enclosure's ceiling by the control rod
stuck through his body and into the structure.

The structure and the corpses were highly radioactive.  The structure
was disassembled and buried on site.  The corpses were recovered intact
and were buried with the structure.  The burial site was paved for
control of loose contamination.  It has been called a "parking lot" and
legend has it that snow melts quickly.  Of course the radiation levels
are probably too high for uncontrolled access.

These are my recollections of the SL-1 accident, gathered from my
training and preparation for peer-training and confirmed by a co-worker
that had been assigned the work.

Doug Huffman
Washington Island
Wisconsin