[ RadSafe ] How many curies were involved in Hiroshima

neilkeeney at aol.com neilkeeney at aol.com
Fri Jun 24 21:18:26 CDT 2011

Jeff et al:

I agree wholeheartedly.  I consider a great many more people die in preventable events techologically enhanced by industry each year. For example the following excerpt is from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_collision  and  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidemiology_of_motor_vehicle_collisions

"Worldwide it was estimated in 2004 that 1.2 million people were killed (2.2% of all deaths) and 50 million more were injured in motor vehicle collisions.

India recorded 105,000 traffic deaths in a year, followed by China with over 96,000 deaths.

This makes motor vehicle collisions the leading cause of injury death among children worldwide 10 – 19 years old (260,000 children die a year, 10 million are injured) and the sixth leading preventable cause of death in the United States (45,800 people died and 2.4 million were injured in 2005). In Canada they are the cause of 48% of severe injuries."

Granted these events occur in singular incidents or small groups yet they share a common element - an automobile, mass produced in industry.  And this occurs each year...

Do these statistics possibly qualify under "Industrial Event(s)" in terms of this discussion?  Each year, one-million plus people - dead as the result of variable circumstances but involving a common denominator.

Regards,

Neil Keeney