[ RadSafe ] Hot particles on automobile air filters

Busby, Chris C.Busby at ulster.ac.uk
Fri Jun 24 14:19:05 CDT 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at agni.phys.iit.edu on behalf of radbloom at comcast.net
Sent: Fri 24/06/2011 16:14
To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing List
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Hot particles on automobile air filters

I'm curious about the retention efficiency of iodine vs cesium on these filters.  I know the chemical form of the iodine would affect its collection efficiency, but typically carbon filters, not particulate filters, are used to (most efficiently) collect iodine species.  Also, it's noted that the filters have been in transit for a long time - is that long compared to I-131's 8-day half-life, or just long compared to the radon progenies' half-lives?

Cindy Bloom