[ RadSafe ] Hot particles on automobile air filters

Busby, Chris C.Busby at ulster.ac.uk
Fri Jun 24 14:27:23 CDT 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at agni.phys.iit.edu on behalf of Clayton J Bradt
Sent: Fri 24/06/2011 19:26
To: radsafe at agni.phys.iit.edu
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Hot particles on automobile air filters

Chris Busby states:

"But these filters have been across the Pacific and in the mail system for
a long time.
The gamma spectrum of the filters shows Cs137 and I131."

Now I'm curious.  Are these air filters replacement parts manufactured in
Japan within the past 3 months and shipped to the US?
If so, and assuming for the sake of argument that there are hot particles
in the air filters, they would likely have been introduced during
the manufacturing process - not during use.

Further questions: Have hot particles been found through the environmental
monitoring in Japan?  Where is the manufacturing plant for the filters in
relation to Fukushima? Has monitoring been performed at the manufacturing
plant?

Clayton J. Bradt
Principal Radiophysicist
NYS Dept. of Health
Biggs Laboratory, Room D486A
Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12201-0509

518-474-1993

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure. It is intended only for the addressee. If you received this in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not distribute, copy or use it or any attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your system. Thank you for your cooperation.