[ RadSafe ] Ft. Calhoun

Jim Hardeman Jim.Hardeman at dnr.state.ga.us
Mon Jun 27 09:56:34 CDT 2011

Tom --

See http://www.oppd.com/prodconsump10g/groups/web/documents/webcontent/22_007133.pdf

Fort Calhoun has bee down since April 9 for refueling. I have no info as to whether refueling was completed and the reactor buttoned back up before the flooding began or not -- but the utility (Omaha Public Power District) has committed to suspend plant restart activities to focus on flood protection.

Jim Hardeman

>>> Jeff Terry <terryj at iit.edu> 6/27/2011 10:45 >>>
As a precaution, they started the backup diesel generators. They did not lose off-site power, but made the switch in case water got to close to the electrical switching gear. They are deciding whether or not to switch back to offsite power according to the NRC link in the last message.

If all power from offsite is lost and the on-site backups fail, the coolant eventually stops circulating.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone