[ RadSafe ] [Bulk] Ft. Calhoun

Thompson, Dewey L DThompson3 at ameren.com
Mon Jun 27 10:00:19 CDT 2011

Ummm, well.  The reactor at Ft. Calhoun is reloaded with the next cycles fuel in the core.  They have been shut down since early April and will stay that way until the flooding subsides.

What that means is that there is little concern for quick over heat of the core.  They DO have to keep the core cool, however this core has a LOT less decay heat in it than it did in April.  The pumps and diesels and such are in flood protected areas, and there is little danger of losing the diesel fuel tanks.

Short answer to your question would be "slow temperature build up", Plant Operators would have time to activate backup plans.

The berm that collapsed was for protection of the switchyard and site access.  The plant was designed around a 1014 sea level, the flood waters are right now at 1006 feet or so. They have isolated the transformers and are running diesels, although I expect they will reconnect off site power later.  Last projection I saw for river level was 1008 ft.

Regards

Dewey

DEWEY THOMPSON
Staff HP