[ RadSafe ] Mission to Mars

Thu Jun 30 14:27:45 CDT 2011

From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu
[mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of
JPreisig at aol.com
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2011 8:53 AM
To: radsafe at health.phys.iit.edu
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Mission to Mars

Hi Again,

      This is from:    _jpreisig at aol.com_ (mailto:jpreisig at aol.com)    .

      Sure, a manned mission is probably quite  expensive right now.
However, we are not starting from
zero knowledge for a spaceflight to Mars using reactor power.  See
Nerva,
Prometheus, etc.
The government is far ahead of what we common folks know, and for
tactical
reasons, we cannot hear
about much of the work.  Similarly for plasma physics.  Yes,  unmanned
missions should occur to MARS
first.  Hey, haven't we already had some unmanned missions to  Mars???
Will NASA scientists
continue to work on Prometheus???

      Yes, Maury, we are protected here on Earth  via the Van Allen
belt,
the Earth's magnetic field, etc.
See Accelerator Health Physics by Patterson and Thomas for information
about early work on
cosmic rays,  Then look at NASA documents, Health Physics, Journal of
Geophysical Research
(in the area of Earth magnetism etc.) for articles on this subject.
For a
human crew on a Mars bound
spaceship, one bad solar flare can ruin your whole day (it could kill
all
the members of such a space
crew.)   See also Brookhaven National Lab's website about the
accelerator
there that is used for
NASA studies of space radiation  Earth  accelerators approach  perhaps
some
of the particle energies  of
cosmic rays.  Clearly we have some understanding of sunspots,  solar
flares
and the like.

     Nothing ventured, nothing gained  The space  flights to the moon
weren't shielded by the VanAllen
belt and Earth's magnetic field.  Those Moon explorers made the trip
and
survived.  How long did the
Moon missions last????  Several weeks or months????.  Aren't we  now in
the
same time ballpark
with a trip to Mars in travel time????  NASA, Russian crews etc.  take
risks.  They are aware of the risks and
go forward.  They are brave.  Very good ground based Engineers  and
Scientific ground crews
support the flight efforts.  Von Braun and company had many failed
launches before
launches started to work fairly routinely.

     Hope the floodwaters recede in Nebraska.

     Now back to work????

     Regards,     Joseph R. (Joe)  Preisig, PhD