[ RadSafe ] Advice - Dental x-ray survey

North, David DNorth at Lifespan.org
Thu Mar 10 15:18:41 CST 2011

Hello,

I don't know if anyone has responded to you yet, but in my experience,
intra-oral dental x-ray machines and panoramic dental x-ray units produce
very little stray radiation. So little that it's difficult to measure. You
need something like a Ludlum 9 DP ion chamber survey instrument.

As long as you know that all the cubicles are identical, it makes sense to
me to just survey any one of them. I would be surprised if you measure
anything above ambient background radiation outside the cubicles, and you
certainly will not get any result through the concrete partitions.

Set the x-ray machine up for a typical exam with a piece of plastic in front
of the tube collimator where the patient's skin would be. The plastic will
scatter x-rays the way tissue does. The plastic only needs to be a square
block 10 cm on each side and 2 cm thick.

Good luck,

David L. North, Sc.M., DABR
Associate Physicist
Main Building, Rm 317
Rhode Island Hospital
593 Eddy St.
Providence, RI 02903
w: (401)444-5961
f: (401) 444-4446
dnorth at lifespan.org

On 2/24/11 1:47 PM, "Falah Abu-Jarad" <abujarad2 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear All
Looking for your advice for the following:

There are 60 dental
> cubic¹s at a height of 1.5 m of concrete and all open door
for each are to be
> used for training of students in a dental college. Each cubic
has a dental
> chair provided with needed facilities and one dental x-ray
machine. Request
> is issued to make x-ray survey in each cubic and all together
at the same
> time. Including the corridor between.

1- The best way to do that
2- The best