[ RadSafe ] request for the information log (or whatever) for the releases from Japan power plant

Stewart Farber radproject at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 12 15:39:45 CST 2011

An interesting link is shown below which shows an analysis by Bechtel of the
Japanese reactor containment at their Advanced Boiling Water Reactors [ABWR]. It
does not show a date so I am not clear if it specifically shows the Fukushima
containment.  At this point it seems most likely from the confusing info getting
out that the structure which exploded due to vented hydrogen was the reactor
building, not the reactor containment. The integral reactor containment is a
very rugged structure with walls about 6 feet thick, and a reactor mat that is
even thicker.  See:

<http://www.iasmirt.org/iasmirt-3/SMiRT10/DC_250322>

Does anyone know if the report above, and diagram of a Japanese ABWR applies to
a plant like Fukushima?

As was seen at TMI, after the partial core melt, almost all the core melt
radioactivity was retained in containment, bound  up by passive
physical/chemical reactions  with concrete --not retained as a result of
engineered, active safety systems.

Some general news reports today have told people near Fukushima to "cover their
mouths".  Perhaps some of the media should do the same until they get actual
facts. I've heard or read many news reports saying Fukushima power plant was 40
years old.  The oldest plant in the complex was started up in 1982  -28 years
ago. Not a big point, but the media should at least be able to get the plant age
right.  If they can't do that, what should be trusted from their reports?

To get an extreme anti-nuclear activist European take on the accident [from
someone who is billed by some of his supporter sites as "the greatest nuclear
expert in the world"] see the statement issued earlier today by :Prof. Bruce
Busby. It is an "interesting" read as to the tactics being used to exploit the
accident. You might enjoy reading the GreenAudit group statement below. Busby
writes:

"This is a potenbtial [sic] Chernobyl level event and must be seen as extremely
serious."

Busby, a well-established Cassandra, is advising people [even on the West Coast
of the  US]  to rush out and get geiger counters and take shelter if radiation
levels with their geiger  counters increase to  300  nSv/hr  [30 micro-R/hr] or
about 2 -3 times normal background at sea level from terrestrial gamma and
cosmic radiation.

For point of reference to the insignificance of the minor radiation levels at
which Busby is recommending protective actions, I've done radiation surveys all
over Boston, MA many years ago which show ambient background levels at many
locations of about 250 nSv/hr due to the use of granite in construction there.
Levels like those Busby is recommending protective actions [in nanoSv/hr] were
measured in my survey at:

--South Station central train station: 270 nanoSv/hr
--Christian Science Church: 250
--Bunker Hill Monument: 240
--State House Steps: 160
--Park Street Church: 180

The above exposure rates will not have changed much [ :-) ] in the 34 years
since I did the Boston survey, since the dose rates are due to the U-238 decay
series [ 4.5 billion year half-life] and Th-232 decay series [ 14 billion year
half life].

I wrote an op-ed column in the Boston Globe about the above Boston radiation
survey in Dec. 1976 which I can supply to interested parties as a pdf if they
are interested.

I wrote this op-ed as a followup to the MA State Police foolishly running around
South Boston with Civil Defense Geiger counters looking for a 1  micro-Curie [
37,000 Bq] Co-57 check source which had been in a tool box stolen from a medical
service tech's truck which had disappeared. The local Health Department had put
out reports that anyone handling this "COBALT" radioactive [exempt Co-57 check
source mind you ] source would get " radiation sickness and radiation burns".
Sounds like something we could read from some of today's anti-nuclear activisits
or today's press reports. The State Police in 1976 sealed off a square mile of
S. Boston while they ran around with geiger counters and routine gm probes
looking for a 1 micro-Ci button source. I'll leave it to you to calculate the
trivial rad exposure from a 1 micro-Curie [37,000 Bq]  Co-57 check source at 2
or 3 feet, and to see how useless it would be to quickly sweep by it at waist
height looking for it.  I called the Boston Globe reporter involved after this
foolish column ran and he scoffed at running any correction. I then spoke to the
Globe ombudsman who gave me an op-ed  column to state my position about the
event.

I've also done similar sensitive High Pressure Ionization Chamber radiation
surveys for an insurance company in 1981 around Harrisburg, PA and the nuclear
station after the accident at TMI. By far, the highest radiation levels of about
300 nSv/hr [ 30 uR/hr] were, similar to Boston, seen on the  steps of  the
Harrisburg State Capitol steps due to granite use in their construction, and in
the court room where various trials about the TMI accident were to be held due
to natural radioactivity in granite.

When  Busby, the Scientific Secretary of GreenAudit.com warns people to take
shelter at only 300 nanoSv/hr it would seem that he has never heard of radon
daughter washout during rainfall when the background rad gamma levels can easily
increase by factors of 2 or more.  Oh well, the more things change, the more
they stay the same.

===================================
CHRIS BUSBY ISSUED STATEMENT ON JAPANESE ACCIDENT - AM EST March 12, 2011
Urgent : 12th March 2011; London
Alert: the potential health consequences of the explosion
at the Fukushima reactor in Japan
Joint Press Statement from the Low Level Radiation Campaign
and the European Committee on Radiation Risk

The evidence is now overwhelming that there has been a significant explosion
accident at the Japanese Fukushima nuclear plant following the loss of coolant
to the
reactor. The reactor is of the Boiling Water type, which is the same type as the
Chernobyl reactor. The detection of high levels of radioactivity and of
Caesium-137
near the plant makes it clear that fission radionuclides are being released to
the
atmosphere.
The quantity of radioactivity, which has been or will be released is not yet
known. However it should be appreciated as a matter of extreme urgency that the
health consequences of exposure to this type of radiation is extremely serious
and that
the level of exposure cannot be accurately assessed by making radiation
measurements based on absorbed dose. The authorities are already, and will
continue
to, downplay the potential risks on the basis of a false radiation risk model,
that of the
International Commission on Radiological Protection. This is an exact
replication of
the responses to the similar Chernobyl explosion and is driven by the bias in
these
agencies and authorities towards nuclear energy. The radionuclides released in
the
Chernobyl accident are the same radionuclides being released from the Fukushima
plant. The effects of the Chernobyl accident radioactivity releases have been
seen to
be devastating and continue to affect the health of the exposed populations as
far
away from Chernobyl as Europe and the USA. The reason that Geiger absorbed dose
type of readings (milliSieverts) cannot be employed as measures of risk is that
these
kinds of radioactive substances act from within the body or by binding to DNA,
thus
the dose to the local tissue or DNA can be enormous whilst the average dose
recorded
by the Geiger counter may be quite low or even barely detectable.
If significant amounts of radioactivity from the Fukushima plume approach
populated centres in any country (e.g. the western USA) the advice from the
European Committee on Radiation Risk Action Team [NOTE: THIS IS THE ANTI-NUCLEAR
ACTIVIST GROUP ISSUING THIS STATEMENT] is as follows:

1. Do not believe the assurances of the radiation protection advisors working
for the
government. They are false, biased and based on an obsolete model. This is a
potenbtial Chernobyl level event and must be seen as extremely serious.
2. Try to obtain if possible a Geiger Counter or similar radiation detector or
readings
from someone who owns one. If the readings increase to more that twice the
normal
background in your area or to a level of more than 300nSv/h (300nGy/h) then:
3. Get away as soon as possible to a clean area or if not possible stay indoors
and keep
all the doors and windows closed for at as long as the radiation levels are
higher than
normal. Try to keep the house sealed as far as possible.
4. Drink bottled water, use only tinned milk. Await further bulletins from
www.llrc.org and www.euradcom.org
Contact: Prof Chris Busby, Scientific Secretary ECRR +44 7989 428833; +44 1970
630215; Email: Mireille de Messieres: admin at greenaudit.org
Richard Bramhall, LLRC +44 1597 824771; bramhall at llrc.org

 Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
Bridgeport, CT 06604