[ RadSafe ] NRC Recommending Americans keep 50 mi distant. A new 50 mile radius EPZ needed??

Jerry Cohen jjc105 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 17 14:49:22 CDT 2011

Several years ago, I was involved in a study that required an understanding of
the rationale behind setting the EPZ  distance at 10 miles. The research leading
to that decision, which likely cost >$1 million, had resulted in a six volume
report including assessments of radiation effects, meteorological evaluations
and other supposedly relevant  subjects. It concluded that 10 miles was a
reasonable distance for an EPZ for nuclear power reactor sites. We spent a lot
of effort trying to track how the 10 mile distance was derived, but despite
considerable effort, were unsuccessful. We could only conclude that selection of
this distance was largely arbitrary. Therefore, it is interesting to note the
effort to raise this distance to 50 miles. Maybe now the NRC will reveal the
reason(s) why 10 miles is not good enough, and 50 miles might be better.

Jerry Cohen