[ RadSafe ] xkcd: Relative Radiation Dose chart

Cary Renquist cary.renquist at ezag.com
Mon Mar 21 17:41:14 CDT 2011

The sole reference for the HPS position statement (which is likely the
basis for the other statements) is NCRP 126.

National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurements. Uncertainties
in fatal cancer risk estimates used in radiation protection. Bethesda,
MD: NCRP; NCRP Report No. 126; 1997.

I don't have a copy of NCRP 126, they dance around the 100 mSv value in
NCRP 136
e.g.
Hoel and Li (1998) recently modeled the dose-response relationship
for various cancer incidence and mortality endpoints for the
atomic-bomb survivor data, comparing linear and dose-threshold
curves. For total solid tumors they found that the fit of the linear
curve and curves with a threshold of 100 mSv fit about equally well
for the incidence data but the linear curve provided a somewhat
better fit for the mortality data. Thresholds above about 100 mSv
fit more poorly than a linear curve. A similar conclusion was reached
by Kellerer and Nekolla (1997), based on evaluation of the influence
of dose-dependent errors in the neutron dosimetry at Hiroshima.

The most recent analyses of the Japanese atomic-bomb data indicate that
the data for solid
tumors are highly compatible with nonthreshold linearity of the
dose-response curve in the aggregate and for major subgroups of
cancer types (Pierce et al., 1996; Thompson et al., 1994). On the
other hand, Hoel and Li (1998) recently showed that the data for
several cancer endpoints could be fit about equally well with a dose
response
model having a dose threshold at around 50 to 100 mSv.
However, they did not evaluate the fit of a linear-quadratic model
versus a threshold model.

---
Cary Renquist
cary.renquist at ezag.com