[ RadSafe ] observations on iodized salt

grahnk at comcast.net grahnk at comcast.net
Thu Mar 24 10:36:22 CDT 2011

Since iodine is in the news, relative to Japan, I think the question you are asking is whether the iodine in in iodized table salt is radioactive.  The answer is No.

There may be minute amounts of activity in non-lite iodized table salt, because, depending on producer, the iodine (a micronutrient) is added either as potassium iodate or iodide, or sodium iodate or iodide, which is applied as a spray in the production process, and in very small quantities   (thanks Wikipedia).  If potassium salts are used, there's some K-40, but in small amounts.

In lite salt products, which you accurately describe as a blend of NaCl and KCl, the radioactivity is from the K-40.   All of us have comonly used lite salt products in high school radiation demonstrations or for basic radiation safety training course.    With a GM pancake probe, there should be no difference between an opened or unopened container, unless someone has been using the open container as a condiment, (or they spilled it).  the half life is quite long.

Kelly Grahn

Illinois Emergency Management Agency

Division of Nuclear Safety

opinions are mine and mine alone....yada yada....