[ RadSafe ] Fw: Radioactive contamination of the ocean

Jerry Cohen jjc105 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 28 19:05:24 CDT 2011

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Jerry Cohen <jjc105 at yahoo.com>
To: shima <shima at piments.com>
Sent: Mon, March 28, 2011 4:57:28 PM
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Radioactive contamination  of the ocean

 I am well aware that dispersion in the ocean is not instantaneous, but that
really doesn't matter. In the case of the Japan leak, dispersion will occur well
before there would be any  exposure to significant radioactivity levels.
In the case of solidified nuclear HLW, unless we are dumb, we would dump it in
ocean trenches (>10 km. deep) and hundreds of miles offshore where it would
slowly dissolve over centuries or millennia decaying to innocuous  levels before
reaching any area where it could be harmful. By then, the hazard would be less
than that of the naturally occurring radioactivity in oceanic waters.
In the Waste Management meeting at the U. of Arizona in 1980, a session on ocean
disposal of rad waste was held at which this and much similar information was
brought out. Of coarse, nobody seemed to care and the information had no
apparent impact. I suspect that was because almost everyone there was making a
good living researching geologic waste disposal. That research led to the Yucca
Mountain debacle. Too bad more attention was not paid to ocean disposal.
Interesting to note that the "NIMBY" syndrome would be unlikely since the middle
of the Pacific Ocean is not really in anyone's  "backyard".
Jerry Cohen