[ RadSafe ] Was There Ever Liquid Fuel Reactor?

shima shima at piments.com
Wed Mar 30 04:27:36 CDT 2011

On 30/03/11 05:24, Roger Helbig wrote:
> Pat Thurston, KGO-Radio Talk Show has someone telling all about "liquid
> fuel" and saying  the reactor manufacturers sold the reactor at cost so that
> they could make money off the fuel rod assemblies - I think that this is
> pure malarkey, but I do not know so I am letting the list know about this
> program - she has a knack for interviewing anti-nuclear activists many of
> whom seem to be more loon than activist - is this person one of those - the
> program is widely heard over the entire West Coast plus available on the
> internet world wide -
>

> To Listen - go to www.kgoradio.com then to Listen - then Hourly Archives -
> Tuesday 8-9PM - this will be available for one week -  the show will be
> available about 9:15PM Pacific Time this evening - that's in a little less
> than an hour from when I am sending this
>

> Roger Helbig

Hi,

selling the initial equipment at cost or at a loss to hook customers
into long term commitments for consumables is a sound commercial
practice, free market forces mean that will happen. A classic case is
inkjet printers.

Reactors is even more constraining since you can't decide buy no-name
reactor fuel rods from China.

That's a gross simplification of the economics, politics and funding of
nuclear reactors but we all have budgets to balance and it would be
surprising if this was not the case.

As for the liquid fuel, their testing that right now in Fukupshima, but
the tests are not encouraging ;)

Some thorium ractor designs and the energy amplifier concept work on
liquid cores.

regards.