No subject

Mon Mar 7 21:29:35 CST 2011

"This is an experiment. No real cancers are involved. But that's the
point.
We're going to see if we can make a game of pure chance look like
something
real and meaningful.=20

Why? Because this week an official report in the UK stated that
radiation
from nuclear power stations does not cause increased levels of childhood
leukaemia.=20

A conspiracy, allege critics. Statistical lies, say others. The problem
is
obvious, they argue.=20

The Committee on Medical Aspects of Radiation in the Environment
(COMARE),
first investigated the question 25 years ago. It's still at it.=20

And the reason, both for some people's scepticism and for COMARE's
25-year
struggle to find a definitive answer, is the role of chance.=20

Can we recreate the problem? Here goes."=20

continues at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13374325

Fred Dawson
New Malden