No subject

Mon Mar 7 21:29:35 CST 2011

"This is an experiment. No real cancers are involved. But that's the
point.
We're going to see if we can make a game of pure chance look like
something
real and meaningful.

Why? Because this week an official report in the UK stated that
radiation
from nuclear power stations does not cause increased levels of childhood
leukaemia.

A conspiracy, allege critics. Statistical lies, say others. The problem
is
obvious, they argue.

The Committee on Medical Aspects of Radiation in the Environment
(COMARE),
first investigated the question 25 years ago. It's still at it.

And the reason, both for some people's scepticism and for COMARE's
25-year
struggle to find a definitive answer, is the role of chance.

Can we recreate the problem? Here goes."

continues at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13374325

Fred Dawson
New Malden