[ RadSafe ] Long lived isotope/particle specific activity

Thu May 26 11:16:40 CDT 2011

As another Heinlein fan, I would add that I believe he was not speaking about individuals who, because of circumstances beyond their control, did not have the opportunity to learn math (or other subjects) beyond what was necessary to stay alive.  Nor, I believe, did he have anything against individuals who, again because of circumstances beyond their control, had brains that didn't function well enough to learn beyond a certain level (though he was quite critical of societies that could not triage properly, and would spend millions per year on brain-dead bodies, but not fund vaccination and childhood nutrition programs).  He was, however of very low opinion concerning people who have the ability to understand, and the opportunity to learn, and choose not to.  He had even lower opinions of those who, having chosen not to learn, feel superior to those who do know about the subject, and feel that their own opinions should be given as much or more weight than those with superior knowledge.

Heinlein was an elitist, and would wear that badge proudly.  However, as his books clearly showed, he believed that almost everyone had within them the ability to take responsibility for themselves, and rise above the crowd.

Though he did get a little weird there, at the end.

As for the math under consideration; while I admit that dose can be rather involved, and requires more comfort with uncertainty than many people achieve, half-life and specific activity are barely beyond balancing a checkbook.  Heck there are easy to use tables for most of what you want to do.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu [mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Thompson, Dewey L
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2011 8:42 AM
To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing List
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Long lived isotope/particle specific activity

And we hear from our favorite curmudgeon again.

No Franz, I am (was) not criticizing anyone, rather simply quoting a great author that I personally consider to be profoundly insightful.

His name was Robert A. Heinlein, he wrote (primarily) Science Fiction.  This quote was within his book Time Enough for Love, originally published by Berkley in 1973.  I was much younger then, and found this particular book to be inspiring, and I quote from it often. That would probably be a character flaw.

The entire list of Robert's pithy quotes and insight on life may be easily found by searching the internet for "Notebooks of Lazarus Long".  I would urge you to peruse the link, and get a feel for Robert's take on life.  If fact, I urge you to read it.  I'll bet it has been translated to Austrian.

http://www.angelfire.com/or/sociologyshop/lazlong.html

Certainly Franz, I publicly apologize for offending you, and I absolutely commit to being very careful in the future that I thoroughly and thoughtfully consider how you might take any message that I have a mind to post on here Radsafe to ensure that I never offend you anyone else again.

After all, as we all know, you are the self appointed champion of polite demeanor here on Radsafe.

SO! I post this to the entire board to publically show my chagrin and meekly request forgiveness.

Most humbly

Your most loyal and faithful servant:

Dewey

DEWEY THOMPSON