No subject

Wed May 18 15:38:07 CDT 2011

was appreciated by the nuclear industry and their friends. They =
absolutely could not have independent laboratories measuring food and =
causing political problems. When this began, back in August, many people =
wrote to me and warned me that James Ryan was some kind of operator =
employed by the nuclear industry to draw me into a situation that would =
damage my credibility. But I thought this wasn=92t so: and I welcomed =
anyone in Japan who had the guts to actually do something for the =
children rather than moan. Ryan=92s son is gravely ill as a result of =
some medical error and this is why he wanted to do something to prevent =
others having to live with children who were sick because of the =
radiation. And even if he were an operator, I thought that the publicity =
around the supplements might cause people to consider taking them. And I =
was correct.  It has.  And this will save lives. Make no mistake. And =
this is worth more than my credibility.
This is why I allowed him to use my name.  But as time progressed, Ryan =
was attacked and it became impossible for him to officially set up the =
CBFCF. He was threatened with death and wrote to me that threats were =
made to kill his son. No pills were permitted to be imported by the =
Japanese authorities. Scientists who had agreed to be involved were =
framed and were frightened off.
The role of George Monbiot in all of this has been very questionable. =
His apparent Pauline conversion was released around the 21st March at =
the exact time that Reactor 3 melted down releasing radioactivity which =
caused the most significant increase in radiation levels in Tokyo and =
Ibaraki and was even detected in Europe. This =93white smoke=94 episode =
has been totally ignored by the IAEA and TEPCO despite the fact that the =
radiation detectors recorded the sudden increases in Ibaraki and Tokyo.=20
With regard to the Guardian article, this was a badly thought through =
and strategically foolish mistake on the part of Monbiot and his =
advisors and shows the lengths of desperation to which they have =
descended. The article has given me publicity, and the crass errors of =
scientific knowledge displayed by Monbiot=92s advisors Gerry Thomas and =
Ohtsuwa Niwa make them and the Guardian (which should have checked the =
facts) easy targets for a libel action . I attach below a letter sent to =
Gerry Thomas and to Imperial College by the Low Level Radiation =
Campaign.
Finally, I should be grateful that these pathetic attempts to destroy my =
credibility are the best that the nuclear industry and the military can =
manage: at least they haven=92t tried to kill me yet.  Imagine being =
reduced to accusing me of making money out of selling useless pills: the =
whole market driven system that they are part of and fuel is based on =
exactly that type of process, and supported by a whole regiment of =
dishonest scientists!

Chris Busby
Nov 23rd 2011 =20

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Professor Gerry A Thomas
Chair in Molecular Pathology
Department of Surgery & Cancer
Imperial College London,=20
South Kensington Campus,=20
London=20
SW7 2AZ=20
By email to: geraldine.thomas at imperial.ac.uk

Dear Professor Thomas
In an article about my colleague Professor Chris Busby on page 11 of =
today's Guardian newspaper you are reported to have said that =
"radioactive elements do not bind to DNA" and that "[t]his shows how =
little [Professor Busby] understands about basic radiobiology." I would =
point out that the affinity of Uranium for DNA phosphate is well known. =
The affinity of the uranyl ion, UO2++ for Calcium Ca++ sites was known =
in the 1960s when the substance began to be employed as an electron =
microscope stain. The affinity constant was measured by Nielsen et al in =
1992 and was of the order of 1010M-1 which would suggest, in mass-action =
equilibrium terms, that at quite low concentrations (100ng/l) there is a =
significant amount of Uranium bound to the phosphate backbone of the =
DNA.
Strontium is reported to bind to chromosomes (Steffensen and LaChance =
1961, Mazia 1954)

The article reports you as describing as "ludicrous" Professor Busby's =
statements about heart disease caused by Caesium. However, research =
after the Chernobyl disaster shows that abnormalities of cardiac rhythm =
and conductivity correlated with the quantity of incorporated =
radionuclides (Bandazhevsky 1999). The incidence and persistence of =
abnormalities of cardiac rhythm were significantly higher in ischemic =
heart disease patients from contaminated territories (Arynchyna and =
Mil=92kmanovich, 1992).

You are reported to have said that none of the products referred to in =
the article is useful. I will leave aside consideration of testing for =
radioactivity since it is clear that their usefulness is a matter for =
purchasers, but with reference to the mineral supplements I would point =
out that research was conducted in the 1950s and '60s when the presence =
of Strontium-90 in weapons test fallout was a matter of political and =
scientific concern. It showed that administration of stable Calcium and =
Strontium blocks the absorption of Strontium-90 and other radioactive =
Calcium mimics. Spencer et al 1967 showed the method worked in human =
beings; Palmer et al 1958 and Kawin 1959 demonstrated that it worked in =
rats.=20

It therefore appears that all your statements, which have certainly =
caused distress and quite possibly reputational damage, are seriously in =
error. It is possible that you have been misreported and if that is the =
case I request you to communicate with the editors of the Guardian and =
ask for a correction to be printed. If you have not been misreported =
please would you ask the editors of the Guardian to print a retraction =
and please also let me have a letter or an email of apology that I can =
forward to Professor Busby who is presently out of the country. In a =
spirit of openness and scientific inquiry I also invite you to convene a =
public meeting in Imperial College where you could debate these issues =
with Professor Busby. Such an event would very rapidly show that your =
alleged claim about his understanding of basic radiobiology is very far =
from true.=20

I am copying this letter by post to the Chief Executive of Imperial =
College.=20

Yours sincerely

Richard Bramhall

References
Arynchyna, N. T. & Mil=92kmanovich, V. K. (1992). Comparison of =
circadian monitoring of cardiac arrhythmias in patients with cardiac =
ischemia living in radioactive-contaminated and clean territories of the =
southern part of Belarus. Jubilee Conference 125 Years of the Belarus =
Scientific Therapeutic Society, December 22=9623, 1992, Minsk =
(Abstracts, Minsk): pp. 75=9676.
Bandazhevsky,Yu. I. (1999). Pathology of Incorporated Ionizing =
Radiation. Belarus Technical University, Minsk.
Kawin B (1959) Effects of stable Calsium and Strontium on deposition of =
Ca45 and Sr90 in bone. Experientia XV/8 313-314
Mazia D 1954 Untitled in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences =
40: 521.=20
Nielsen P E, Hiort C, Sonnichsen S O, Buchardt O, Dahl O, Norden B, =
(1992) DNA binding and photocleavage by Uranyl VI salts. J. Am. =
Chem.Soc. 114: 4967-4975.
Palmer RF, Thompson RC and Kornberg HA (1958) Effect of Calcium on =
Deposition of Ca45 and Sr90 in rats. Science 127 1515-6
Steffensen D and LaChance LE (1961) Untitled in J Caldecott and R Snyder =
(eds.) Radioisotopes in the Biosphere 132
Spencer H, Lewin L and Samachson J (1967) Effect of stable Strontium on =
radioStrontium excretion in man. Radiation Research 31 876-888
c.c.	Mark Davies
	Chief Executive's Office
	St Mary's Hospital
	The Bays