[ RadSafe ] Drawing the linebetween scienceandpseudo-science. (was Rational Thought)

Demetrios Okkalides od at tlmq.com
Thu Oct 6 08:34:54 CDT 2011

I am afraid I have to disagree. Science and dogma are exact opposites.
Science did flourish in the ancient world, perhaps more than we can know,
and it was stamped out of the civilised society of the time for 15 centuries
by the advancing  religion, Christianity . It is still clearly documented
that the spherical shape of the earth (Ptolemaios & Eratosthenes) and the
sun centred planet system (aristarxos) were common knowledge by 100 BC.
Despite this, it is on these same issues that scientists of the renaissance
were threatened by the Church who proclaimed the opposite based on a "holy
book".

Our contemporary progress in science and engineering and the fruits of both
are by no means guaranteed for ever. If you look in the new age sites, the
religious apocalyptic trends, the "go back to innocence" green illusions,
the phobic reactions of western societies to new technologies, you might get
a glimpse of a looming new dark ages era. This will not go away on its own.
Reason must be actively defended, not left to fight for itself.

Demetrios