[ RadSafe ] "mis-information from both TEPCO and the Japanese government immediately after the incident"

Tue Oct 11 11:35:03 CDT 2011

Hi, Jaro.

While I wish there was more information available in the early days, I
recognize that between a broken infrastructure and a rapidly developing
situation, that wasn't realistic.  I think there are things that could
have been done in the ensuing months that would make it easier to get a
better picture, but I suspect political (both governmental and
corporate) is more the cause than technical issues.

On the other hand, I completely agree that the fixation on the nuclear
power plants is misplaced, compared to other things that happened.  The
better part of 30,000 people died, and that is seldom, if ever,
mentioned.  I don't think I've EVER seen a number for the people
injured, though it surely is in the tens of thousands.  While there is a
HUGE amount of attention being given to "decontaminating" ground
contaminated with fallout (usually by means that do more environmental
harm than the fallout possibly could), I haven't heard almost nothing
about cleaning up the areas contaminated with all the chemicals one
might find in a town, if the town was put in a blender and the "Liquefy"
button hit.  I saw pictures of farmland coated in a sludge that clearly
killed all plant and animal life in the soil; something the fallout will
never do.

Even worse it coverage about the coastal waters.  The soluble isotopes
released into the ocean will be diluted to background within a short
period after the releases stop.  Some isotopes will remain in the
sediment at above background for some years.  But there are TENS OF
THOUSANDS of cars in those waters, and they will be there until someone
pulls them out.  There are ships, trains, tanks of chemicals, and all
sorts of other things that will have a far greater and far longer effect
on that area than the radioactive releases will.  And at this distance,
at least, they are being ignored.